Serial number signage(27-2107)
HPD Serial number signage (27-2107)
A sign containing the serial number assigned to the building by HPD should be posted in the building’s entrance hall. The sign should also include the building’s street address, and information about the superintendent, janitor, or housekeeper of the building. For full details of what is required for this sign, see §25-81 of Chapter 25 of Title 28 of the Rules of the City of New York.
Section of the Law: HMC § 27-2107
Sec. 27-2107 Failure to register; penalties
a. A person who is required to file a statement of registration or an amendment of a statement of registration or any other statement required under this article and who fails to file as required may, whenever appropriate, be punished under the provisions of article three of subchapter five of this code, and such person shall he subject to a civil penalty of not less than two hundred and fifty dollars and not more than five hundred dollars, recoverable by the department by civil action in a court of appropriate jurisdiction.
b. An owner who is required to file a statement of registration under this article and who fails to file as required shall be denied the right to recover possession of the premises for non-payment of rent during the period of non-compliance, and shall, in the discretion of the court, suffer a stay of proceedings to recover rents, during such period. In any action to recover possession under section 711 of the real property actions and proceedings law, the owner shall set forth his or her registration number issued by the department, and shall allege that he or she has filed a statement of registration and shall annex a copy of the receipt of such registration to his petition.
§ 25-81 Signs Identifying Owner, Managing Agent and Superintendent; Plans on Premises.
(a) (1) Identification signs for the purpose of identifying the owners and managing agents of multiple dwellings by the display of the serial number, shall comply with the applicable provisions of these rules.
(2) Identification signs for the purpose of identifying the superintendents, janitors or housekeepers of multiple dwellings, wherein such employees are required by the provisions of § 83, Multiple Dwelling Law, shall comply with the applicable provisions of these rules.
- Serial numbers, as specified in § 27-2104 shall be determined and assigned by the Department of Housing Preservation and Development.
- Signs shall be located in the entrance hall at the main entrance to the building at the street floor. Signs shall be placed preferably over the mail boxes but, in any case, shall be conspicuously displayed in a prominent location in the entrance hall. Signs shall be located between 7 feet and 9 feet above the floor.
- Sufficient lighting shall be provided so that the sign will be plainly legible at all times.
- Signs that are defaced, damaged or removed, shall be promptly repaired or replaced. Signs shall be maintained in such manner as to be easily read at all times.
DISCLAIMER to comply with the New York City Consumer Protection Law which applies to all businesses operating in New York City: We are small family-owned and family-operated Brooklyn-based business. We are not a City of New York store nor are the website, products or services affiliated with the City of New York or any agency of the City of New York. We ourselves, our business, websites, products, services, or any hyperlinks from its website are not sponsored by, approved by, affiliated with, endorsed by, or connected to the City of New York or any agency of the City of New York, including but not limited to HPD, DOB, DOT, DSNY, FDNY and federal directly or by implication.
DISCLAIMER These codes may not be the most recent version. The State / federal or other regulation department may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.
The requirements for sign content are determined by intended use and by applicable regulation. The BUYER is responsible for determining the appropriate content for a sign or package of signs. WE makes no warranty or representation of suitability of a sign for any specific application. IT IS THE CUSTOMER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT THE SIGNS THE CUSTOMER ORDERS ARE IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL STATE, FEDERAL, LOCAL, AND MUNICIPAL LAWS. Please review terms and conditions prior to purchase.
For more information about what is required, see the laws that are referenced and the rules applicable to your city and state. This page is for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice, professional advice or a statement of law. You may wish to consult with an attorney.