FIRE SAFETY FOR PROPERTY OWNERS -NYC
NYC BUILDING OWNERS Requirements
These are some of the things property owners need to protect tenants:
- Self-closing doors are required in all buildings with three or more apartments.
- Smoke alarms must be provided and installed by the landlord.
- A fire escape plan must be posted on the inside of every apartment door, common area, and distributed to each dwelling, new tenants, and annually during fire prevention week.
- Clear exits unobstructed by obstacles on fire escapes, in hallways, and by entrance doors to a building including roof doors.
It is illegal to install key-locked window gates on fire escapes and double cylinder locks which can trap residents inside an apartment in the event of a fire.
- Stove knob covers must be provided for gas-powered stoves where a child under the age of six resides.
DISCLAIMER to comply with the New York City Consumer Protection Law which applies to all businesses operating in New York City: We are small family-owned and family-operated Brooklyn-based business. We are not a City of New York store nor are the website, products or services affiliated with the City of New York or any agency of the City of New York. We ourselves, our business, websites, products, services, or any hyperlinks from its website are not sponsored by, approved by, affiliated with, endorsed by, or connected to the City of New York or any agency of the City of New York, including but not limited to HPD, DOB, DOT, DSNY, FDNY and federal directly or by implication.
DISCLAIMER These codes may not be the most recent version. The State / federal or other regulation department may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.
The requirements for sign content are determined by intended use and by applicable regulation. The BUYER is responsible for determining the appropriate content for a sign or package of signs. WE makes no warranty or representation of suitability of a sign for any specific application. IT IS THE CUSTOMER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT THE SIGNS THE CUSTOMER ORDERS ARE IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL STATE, FEDERAL, LOCAL, AND MUNICIPAL LAWS. Please review terms and conditions prior to purchase.
For more information about what is required, see the laws that are referenced and the rules applicable to your city and state. This page is for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice, professional advice or a statement of law. You may wish to consult with an attorney.